The
Artist's Way's author, Julia Cameron identifies
Crazymakers as "those personalities that
create storm centers. They are often charismatic, frequently charming, highly
inventive, and powerfully persuasive. And for the creative person in their
vicinity, they are enormously destructive. You know the type: charismatic but
out of control, long on problems and short on solutions."
And--I speak from personal experience--every family has at
least one Crazymaker. (Or rather only one, if you're lucky.)
Some of you must have misplaced yours because I seem to have more than my
share! Please retrieve them!
My DD is my Crazymaker. She has grown into a wonderful
woman, but her organizational skills (or lack thereof) and tendency to
overcommit lends itself to chaos. Chaos that spills over into my life,
and all too often, my writing time.
Because I allow it to. Julia Cameron is right. And
oh-so-smart.
Why do I allow it? Why does no turn into maybe,
and eventually--inevitably, yes?
Ms. Cameron's theory is that we use our Crazymaker as an
excuse not to create. To be honest, this is not something I do every
time, at least not consciously, but, looking back, there are instances I've
done just that.
- Learn when to say yes, and when (and how) to say no. Repeat the mantra above. (A tincture of tough love may be needed here.)
- Examine my reason for saying yes. Is it something I really want or need to do, or am I avoiding the blank page?
- Find someone to help me be accountable to myself.
- Respect myself and honor my writing time.

No comments:
Post a Comment