Saturday, October 29, 2011

Research

As with many writers of Regency-era historicals, I love to research.  I find the time, its mores, and double standards fascinating.  So much so that I can often procrastinate,...um, waste time, searching for obscure facts I'll never use.

Which may lead you to ask, is all that extensive research necessary?

Well, yes and no.  Readers of Regency are extremely knowledgable about the period, and they expect a well-written, well-researched book.  And they have every right to do so.

But, at some point it time, an author actually has to begin putting words on the page.


The method I've found to work best for me is to:

1)  Read enough about the time period and location you're writing about to get a general feel for it.  If you're well read in the sub-genre, such as Regency, you've probably gleaned a wealth of knowledge already.

2)  If you're lacking a specific fact that is is pivotal to your work-in-progress, then you should probably take the time to find it before you go on.  Otherwise, mark it and keep writing.  You don't want to lose hours or days searching the internet for some obscure piece of information that really isn't all that important to the development of your plot, or worse yet, ends up getting edited out.

3) Obviously you'll want to sprinkle in bits of research to flavor your novel.  But, as with any seasoning, too much of a good thing doesn't make it better.  As tempting as it might be, avoid the urge to use a fascinating fact/description/whatever if it doesn't fit.  Like a subtle perfume, research shouldn't overwhelm the reader.

Thanks to the books I've purchased and the wealth of information available on the internet, I do most of my research at home these days.

Which is probably a good thing since it would take forever to cross the Atlantic on an ocean liner (I don't like to fly) and my library really frowns on my work attire of jammie pants and fuzzy socks!
For more research advice, check out the links below:

5 comments:

  1. I am always in awe of historical romance writers. I could never do all that research. It's a completely different way of living! Kudos to all of you.

    I've added you to my google reader, hopefully I'll be dropping by more. See you on Twitter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you said it better than me, Patti! Definitely agree that it shouldn't feel like a history lesson or info dump, but should be organically sprinkled in. No, "As you know, Beatrice, my stays are made of silk with whalebone inserts." LOL

    Alexia, this is how I try to use my research (similar to how Shirlee Busbee describes it too). Not as scary now?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the kind comment and the follow, Crystal!

    Hope you drop by again, soon!

    --Emma D.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kaige, it's so much easier said than done to make your research invisible.

    A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing! Writing is so much easier when you don't know what you're doing!

    Thanks for stopping in and commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's harder to make it "invisible" and gotten from context without info dumping. But yeah... it's so easy to want to share all you learn and to go overboard with it. =)

    ReplyDelete