Does writer's block exist? If so, how do you beat it?
This week I posed the questions to my Accountability Group.
Easy topic, right? Ask any writer, and they'll give an immediate reply.
Writer's block exists for me. Not in the literal sense where I can't find the words. I can type fairly quickly or scribble down a jolt of inspiration (can't promise that it will be legible, though).
I just can't find the right words.
And if I do, per chance, find the right ones or ones I deem close enough, I'm hesitant to add more words--potentially wrong ones-- and ruin the near-perfection.
Yes, I am the poster girl for only child perfectionism. Not that I often achieve it, but I still insist upon it.
And effectively shackle my creativity in the process in doing so.
Now that I have that all figured out, you would assume there'd be a quick fix.
If there is, I haven't found it. But I've come up with subterfuge--I mean a few strategies--that work for me.
- Switch it up! I have the luxury of having a desktop and a laptop computer. Sometimes I'll switch to my laptop. I know it sounds crazy, but I trick myself into thinking that I can't mess up the "good" version of my manuscript. You can find a variation of this might work for you. Use your word processor's track changes feature or change your font color.
- Chat challenges. There's just something about the camaradarie of another writer who is banging her head against the wall, too. Find a writing pal to check in with. You'll be amazed how those words add up!
- BICHOK. Butt In Chair Hands On Keyboard. Sometimes I find it's just a matter of finding my rhythm. Of priming the pump. Of keeping my butt in the chair long enough for the words to start flowing. (It doesn't help that , in addition to being a perfectionist, I'm an impatient one!)
- Read. This almost always works for me! My subconscious is working in the background to find a way over, under, around or through the block. Sometimes it's just a phrase, a description, an unexpected plot twist that sends me back to the computer.
- When all else fails, do the dishes (or another equally mindless task). Does this mean that my hubby is actually trying to help me when he snacks all evening and loads up the kitchen sink? Who knew?
And, in addition to being a perfectionist and being impatient, I am also too stubborn to quit.
Which is a good thing!
Check out how my writing pals deal with writer's block. ·

I blame my perfectionism on my internal editor. And I can't believe I forgot to list chat challenges! You're right, they totally help me break through that gotta do something, gotta write that next sentence, deer in the headlights fear. Just knowing someone else is there and will want to know I got something done helps so much.
ReplyDeleteAnd yes, persistence is the key word I keep hearing in conjunction with writing. Keep at it, Patti! We'll get there.