Friday, April 27, 2012

Gems From The Other Man In My Life...(and, yes, my hubby knows about him!)

PERSEVERANCE   per`se`ver´ance
n.
1.
.steadfastness in doing something despite difficult or delay in achieving success


That’s how Merriam-Webster describes it.

This is my definition.  The little guy in my life.   Besides being ridiculously cute, he personifies the word.

He’s learning to walk.  Forget the fact that his chubby little legs are more wobbly than a sailor on shore leave.  He wants to get from here to there in warp speed, and crawling just doesn’t cut it anymore. 

At this point, his aspirations outweigh his abilities.  After four or five steps, he falls down. 

And picks himself up and tries it again.  And again.

There’s no “I give up.  I can’t do this.”  Or  “I think I’ll try again tomorrow.” Or next week.  Nope, it never even crosses his mind.

He is driven.  Determined.  Single-minded in purpose. 

Despite my best efforts to keep him safe, there will be some bumps and bruises along the way.

Just as there are the inevitable bumps and bruises along a writer’s journey.   Writer’s inertia (sounds better than writer's block), rejection, a bad review, to name a few.

We can let them defeat us.

Or we can do as any tenacious would-be toddler does.  We can pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off, and persevere until we reach our goal!

Check out the blogs of my accountability group as they share their stories:


1 comment:

  1. I can't believe he's walking already! Wow! Great 'Aha!' moment, Emma!

    ReplyDelete